Polk CERT – Polk County, OR
Thank you for visiting our website to learn more about the National CERT program as well as how we operate here in Polk County, Oregon.
Over the past 15 years our CERT has grown into a vibrant program that supports multiple agencies in our county:
- Independence Police Department (Our Sponsoring Agency)
- Monmouth Police Department
- Polk County Fire District #1
- Western Oregon University
Our routine duties in support of these agencies encompass a range of functions that are constantly evolving to meet the needs of those agencies. You will find our members working side by side each year with agency personnel at events such as:
- WOU Commencement in Monmouth
- Independence Western Days
- Dallas Summerfest
- Dallas Winterfest
- National Night Out Against Crime across our communities
- Independence Hop and Heritage Festival
- Dallas Glow Run
In addition to running 3 Basic CERT Courses for our own program each year, we continue to support and co-instruct the newly formed Campus CERT Program at Western Oregon University. Through this partnership we are able to offer the Basic CERT Course in three languages; English, Spanish and ASL.
Statewide, our Senior Instructional Team has been delivering low/no cost CERT courses sanctioned and certificated by the Oregon Office of Emergency Management (OEM) since 2014. We strive in our deliveries to concisely mirror the current best practices taught by the Emergency Management Institute (EMI) located at the National Emergency Training Center (NETC) in Emmitsburg, MD. Courses available include:
- (G317) CERT Basic Course
- (G428) CERT Train the Trainer – TTT
- (G427)CERT Program Manager
Our ability to bring CERTs together in these courses has been a tremendous learning opportunity for both the participants and our instructors. We greatly enjoy mentoring emergent programs as well as sharing common struggles and success stories we’ve heard from others, helping to build a stronger statewide network of successful and engaged CERT programs across Oregon.
I’ve been a part of this program since 2003, working my way through the ranks as a Team Member, Team Lead, Trainer, and currently serving as the Program Coordinator and Course Manager. However you choose to serve in our program, I’m confident that you will find your experience to be a truly rewarding one.
Program & Training Coordinator, Polk CERT
Independence Police Department
Polk CERT Facebook page
CERT Basic Course: Winter and Spring 2023
Winter Session: The Winter 2023 Basic CERT course is scheduled each Monday from 6 PM – 8:30 PM beginning January 16th and concluding March 6th. The training location is to be determined.
Spring Session: The Spring 2023 Basic CERT course is a three-day course to be conducted on May 12th, 13th and 14th from 9 AM – 6 PM. The training location is to be determined.
Check back for a signup link to be posted soon.
Coronavirus Advisory Updates
Polk CERT is maintaining a coronavirus advisory updates page where you can access the latest information regarding COVID-19 case tracking, prevention tips and other information. Polk CERT Program Coordinator Kimber Townsend is actively involved with the COVID-19 response. We are providing up-to-date information from the front lines of efforts to control the infection and spread of coronavirus in Oregon.
Coronavirus Information and Resource Links
- Oregon Health Authority (OHA) COVID-19 Updates
- OHA COVID-19 Daily Updates Dashboard
- OHA COVID-19 Data Dashboards
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) COVID-19 Updates
- Oregon COVID-19 Case Tracking by Zip Code
- Worldwide COVID-19 Case Tracking Map
- Governor Brown’s Coronavirus Information and Resources
- U.S. Government Response to Coronavirus COVID-19
- Oregon Health Authority Statewide Hazards Overview
- Oregon Sector Risk Level Guidance Chart